Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Friday, February 28, 2020

Forgotten Friday #62 - Nishinne Soshi / 二進音素子

I wanted a cookie, and I thought, I deserve a cookie. I have eaten really well today, including an entire bag of riced cauliflower. I used ketchup on it, which isn't ideal but it was so yummy. That probably says a lot about my upbringing that I just put ketchup on plain imitation rice and was over the moon. But, the cookie was a health-food cookie with two hundred calories and like eight grams of protein. That's healthy, right? I'm still hungry, but I might make myself a 60 calorie mug of coffee after I finish this. So, if this seems rushed, I really want coffee.

Forgotten Friday #62 - Nishinne Soshi / 二進音素子

The Wikia page says that Soshi is an SRSloid. Maybe? But SRS's name doesn't show up once anywhere. The link to the creator on the Wikia takes you to a random Japanese MMD user. The voice provider publicly quit in 2010, but the most recent bank was released in 2012? So, like, I don't know.

Who is Soshi Nishinne?

Official Icon Packaged with Bank

I dunno.

Apparently he was a big enough name that Myst wept into the night when she thought Soshi was discontinued... So why don't I remember this guy? In a previous article I pointed out that I actually don't remember 2010. So, that probably explains it. I think the voice provider also made a Microsoft Sam UTAU, and that may be why people ran him off? Os is Rezerozip a girl? I haven't listened to the bank yet, and apparently they lent their voice to a female UTAU also. 

I was able to use Wayback Machine to see Sam's blog, and I don't know if Rezerozip and Sam are the same person. I think they are? And I found the SRS connection! Sam relied on SRS to be a mentor, I guess. And apparently Soshi was supposed to have a lot of banks? At least five? But then they didn't happen? I'd ask SRS, but that was literally a long time ago.

The character file says nothing we don't already know and the readme file is in Japanese with a link to the dead tumblr. All I really have is the Wikia page, which just boils down to "he's a German who hates everything except candy."

How is Nishinne Soshi's bank?

If the 2012 release that likely had input from SRS isn't spectacular, I will mumble disapprovingly. The first "oh no" for me is just the fact that it is romaji encoded. No big deal, it's just an aesthetics thing. But, it's usually not the best sign. The next "oh no" is that all the banks were recorded at the same pitch. How is that an "oh no"? Appends were all the rage, and most of them would be recorded at the same pitch because they're appends, not multi-pitches. Well, I like making things multi-pitches and having no guideline as to what goes where is "oh no". However, obviously, you follow the kire guide. smol, normal, big. 

It took a bit of confusion when I accidentally set the prefix map perfectly for if the UST was at C4... when it was at C3. Fixed that no issue, forgot how to type "強" (why not 力, everyone can type 力). Then I was ready for the races.

And I guess? I mean, it's strange. Analyzing this from the perspective of Forgotten Friday (wow! all of the samples are there and it doesn't glitch out?! It's everything!) feels wrong. Analyzing this from the perspective of Wiki Wednesday feels wrong. There's actually a chance there was a better, more complete Soshi bank out there. The pitches blend seamlessly, but... They're not pitches. They're appends. Are appends supposed to blend seamlessly? 

Don't get me wrong - for a Forgotten Friday bank, this UTAU is amazing. It legitimately can be used to make amazing music without pulling your hair out. It's great!


Where can I download Soshi Nishinne?

You can download Soshi from his Wikia page. It's actually a really good multi-expression bank, though the multiple expressions feel a little close to each other. It's a good bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment