Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Monday, December 24, 2018

Vy Onnarashikoe / VY ReDUX - Found!

Who is Vy Onnarashikoe? Where can I download VY ReDUX? Is Vy a girl or boy?


Vy Onnarashikoe / VY ReDUX - Found!

I tore my room apart trying to find a flash drive where I backed up my old UTAUs recently. Amazingly, it didn't exist. Despite my old PC only having about 30GB of UTAU stuff on it, flash drives that giant weren't really available back in 2012 as far as I remember.

Of course, I did it mostly to find another bank I'll write about later. The reason this is going first is because, well, I don't have to completely overhaul this OTO file! (Also, of course, I don't have to grapple with the concept of the morality of uploading the work of others.)

Thankfully, my old laptop still booted after half a decade. While looking through my folders, I saw a name that felt familiar. I tried to place it, but I really couldn't. I tried to figure out if I had personally known the person who made it or if it was from one of my download binges.


Vy Onnarashikoe

Art by Riki/Ree

The surname is peak 2010. It means "Woman-like voice" and definitely isn't a valid Japanese surname. I don't mean that to come off as an insult when the naming method is just so darn nostalgic. That stuff really doesn't happen now that everyone takes UTAU way too seriously. 

I've done as much research I can when it comes to pronoun usage. It really all comes down to Riki's icon on Photobucket. It's the default avatar for people who report their gender as female. I will use female pronouns for Riki, Vy's creator, and male pronouns for Vy.

Vy was created nearly a decade ago by arrogantchild632 with his distribution sites and YouTube page using his name. When I was first looking at Vy, I was 100% sure that Vy was a 100% dead UTAU. Every link given in his Read Me was dead.

Usually when someone leaves a fandom, they leave all of their old accounts to just rot. You'll hop onto their dA and see that they haven't logged on since 2010. This is the thing that made me think Vy was 100% dead.

But Hark! The UTAU Wikia!

Googling Vy's name got me to the UTAU Wikia. There, I found that you can download all of his banks! And boy howdy is it worth it.
Other than some problems that can likely be fixed with OTO modification, I see nothing wrong with this voicebank beyond being a basic early 2011 one pitch. I legit love the voice!

In addition to that, the design is really adorable.
Art by Riki/Ree
As a note, the voicebank design is gendered male despite how the voicebank sounds. It was done as a joke and Riki seemed to be resigned to the misgendering. I'll save my politics talk to the DMs, but just be aware of the voice provider's wishes.

I was already drafting the outline of this article in my head as soon as I found the Wikia page. Cute UTAU dies sad death when voice provider disappears. But then . . . I found it.

Wikia 2.0 - Vy ReDUX

I can't exactly tell you how I got to Vy's updated voicebanks. I kind of just start googling and opening tabs like a hurricane as opposed to carefully noting what I search. Regardless, I found his Wiki 2.0 page. That lead me to this:


I should be more professional, but AAAAA I LOVE IT.

Such a pretty and clear voice with a cute accent!

Sadly, there are a lot of UTAU users like Riki. There is really no end-game to UTAU, really. Once it stop being fun, there's really nothing that can make putting all of that effort into making new banks feel worth it. I hope no one takes it the wrong way - I bailed hard when it stopped being fun, also. Her last update was in 2016. There's a good chance she will eventually come back and update Vy. However, part of me doubt it with how less and less fun it becomes over time. (Until Ameya pushes out VC support. Then it will be 2010 all over again.)

If Riki comes back in full force, Vy will get a multi-pitch VCV and a good number of non-Japanese banks. The existing demos for those unreleased banks are posted on the missRee soundcloud and linked on the Wiki 2.0 page.

Along with the Wiki 2.0 page is the weirdest little detail.

Vy ReDUX Official Concept Art Re-Design (2016) photo official.jpg
His new concept art is hosted on Photobucket! That either means Photobucket has stopped being a jerk or Riki is paying money to host art of her UTAU. If she's paying money to host her UTAU's art, she'll surely come back . . . right? We can hope.

Downloads

If you skipped the entire article, which I don't blame you for, here are the pages to download Vy's banks.

The original CV and VCV for Vy Onnarashikoe are on his UTAU Wikia page which can be found here.

All available Vy ReDUX banks can be found on his UTAU Wiki 2.0 page here

I hope that someone finds Vy and falls in love with him! Feel free to leave a comment with the things you create using him. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment