Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Friday, January 25, 2019

Forgotten Friday #5 - Coyote and Mayonika

Who is Mayonika? How can I download Coyote's UTAU bank? Who is that one cute UTAU with ears that has that brown color scheme??

Forgotten Friday #5 - Coyote and Mayonika

So, let me start by saying that I've always had a place in my heart for Coyote. In the one video I made using her, I called her an underappreciated UTAU in the description.
(sorry for the mix, it was 2010, man.)

Despite only using her once, I always remember her just being there in the periphery. I'm not sure how such a relatively unknown UTAU left such a deep impact on me, but such is life.

Instead of writing solely on the lovely Coyote, I decided to include an UTAU that is distributed on the same site by the same person. A little digging shows that Mayonika's voice provider (Mayonaka) is, in fact, not Coyote's voice provider (M. Kamiya). I sent M. Kamiya a follow request on Twitter as that is slightly less creepy than a random email to an address that may be defunct. I gotta ask about the VCV, man. (Well, the prospect of VCV. There is no VCV as things stand.)

With that introduction, let's start talking about the banks!

コヨーテ(伺)/ Coyote

Coyote is adorable, ok.
peek-a-boo!
Official art packaged with bank
For more official art, you can visit this page on the site that distributes her.

Coyote's most recent bank is a standard CV bank with some extra samples to help with other languages such as うぇ andすぃ. Updates to the bank are provided in their own separate ZIP files. Those extra ZIP files don't seem to do much more than swap out a few files and give quite a few alternate versions. 
Some files from plus_01 
For some reason, the OTOs are done incorrectly.

aaaaaaaaarrrrgghhh

She still sounds super cute with the OTOs done incorrectly, though.


If you asked me to place the voice, I would say the best way to put it is that Coyote is a Japanese Camila Melodia. The voice is mature, yet sweet. Soft, yet matronly.

If you want to try out Coyote for yourself, here is the download page! To download it, click the link that says "Download". The "plus" ZIP files are the links with numbers in them.

Note: Coyote has two other banks available. Coyo_Test has no OTOs and very short samples. Coyo_Uka feels like a mix of the test bank and version 4. I'd suggest sticking with the official, most recent bank.

マヨニカ / Mayonika

There isn't much information about Mayonika there. There's no Wiki pages nor UTAU archive pages. This may be in part due to the fact that Mayonika is missing quite a few samples. When I say quite a few, I mean literally every "youon" other than ones like cha and sha. (I just learned that word today!) In less fancy terms, anything with a consonant then a 'y' in the romaji is missing. That means that there's no きゃ、ひゃ、or びょ.  (Maybe if he can't say 病気 he can never be sick!)

This can easily be fixed with enough patience and copy and paste in Audacity or REAPER. (For example, if you cut off the palatalized consonant in り, you can use that consonant and the vowels provided to make りゃ, りゅ, and りょ.)

Mentioning OTOs after pointing out that using this bank may involve literally editing the WAV files seems silly. Regardless of all of that, the voice is pretty darn nice!


This is the kind of bank that you tend to avoid unless you love the design. You can find banks with similar voice types that don't require creating a good number of samples yourself. The design is pretty darn adorable, though!
Official Art Packaged with Voice Bank
I'd love to see someone update the design to look super cool and modern someday!

If you're interested in playing with Mayonika, the download page is here. I downloaded the first file for my test render. ノイズ means "noise". That bank has had noise removal performed. Usually I would download the one without processing, but I was more tempted to download the more recent version!

I hope you have fun!

Mayonika is a silly detour, but Coyote is a real star. I love her voice and the muffled nature of her microphone so much! I hope someone finds these UTAUs and loves using them. Feel free to leave a comment with any cool stuff you make 😃

No comments:

Post a Comment