Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Wiki Wednesday #0 - Introduction

What is Wiki Wednesday? Who will be featured on Wiki Wednesday? 

Wiki Wednesday #0 - Introduction

Hi there! Recently, I realized that there is a finite number of UTAUs that can be recovered. If someone uploaded their UTAU once to MegaUpload and then threw their computer into the river behind their house, finding a copy of it would be like finding a hen's tooth. There are UTAU banks out there that have never been downloaded, not even a single time.

That means that if I want this blog to have content, I need to expand past the "rescuing" part of "Search and Rescue". I am already doing that with "Forgotten Friday", but only one post a week feels a little underwhelming. For that reason, I am committing to adding a new feature. 

What is Wiki Wednesday?

Wiki Wednesday is the opposite of Forgotten Friday in its criteria. In Forgotten Friday, it does not matter how many views an UTAU's videos have gotten as long as the UTAU has not been used by a Western audience within the last five or so years. For Wiki Wednesday, it does not matter how many times an UTAU has been used nor time frame of those usages as long as all of the works have a small number of views. I will of course adjust the criteria on the fly. I always end up doing so!

How does a bank end up on Wiki Wednesday?

I get the majority of the banks I use for Wiki Wednesday from the UTAU Wiki Dot. I'm nostalgic for the original UTAU Wikia, but it's just easier for me to use the Wiki Dot. Besides, the domain change from Wikia to Fandom made it not exactly a Wiki. (Joking, joking. The domain change still has me shook, though.)

The first criteria is low view counts on all videos. I only check NicoVideo and YouTube. For YouTube, I work with the quality of the bank and design to decide the cutoff point. I will do my best to keep the view count for the most viewed video under 300, but I will make exceptions for videos that are flukes based off of things like being a duet with Teto. As far as NicoVideo goes, anything under 1,000 is worth consideration. I just feel like it's easier to get eyeballs on NicoVideo, so I'm not as strict on that. 

The second criteria is that the voice provider must not have a more popular UTAU. The UTAU that inspired me to start this feature was Elias. I was so shocked that such a high quality UTAU was so unknown until I did research into who GeorgiaSonic was. Her current UTAU, Pankune Kinzoku, is sitting pretty with her most viewed video at nearly two thousand views. This feature is meant to bring up newer users who are virtually unknown, not draw attention to users who already have attention. If the voice provider has multiple, equally unknown UTAUs, they then qualify for an Investigation, not Wiki Wednesday. 

The third criteria is subscriber count on YouTube. If a user has a subscriber count of one thousand, they don't need my help getting eyeballs. The subscriber count is a way to equalize out view counts on videos that may be a fluke. If an account with 19 subscribers posts a duet with Teto and gets 500 views, I would still consider featuring them. The people came for Teto and left the person in the dust. If someone with 1,000 subscribers had posted the same video and it got 500 views, I would disqualify them immediately. 

In less words, I will feature a bank if no one really knows it exists. I wanted this series to focus more on Western UTAUs to begin with, but I started my research with pages created in January of 2018 so that there was plenty of time for the UTAUs involved to accrue views before declaring them as "having low views". The issue was that some kind soul came in and added a giant amount of pages for Japanese UTAUs. I really like Japanese UTAUs, so I end up seeing if they meet the criteria and downloading them if they do anyway. 

I do reserve the right to randomly not write about banks that fit all of the criteria. There was an UTAU that fit the criteria perfectly, but sounded just like me. I was really creeped out and didn't want to touch it because I felt really, really creeped out. (And the voice provider was a dude from Germany from what my little research showed. I'm a girl from America! How does that happen?!)

When is Wiki Wednesday Posted?

I may rearrange the schedule in the future, but for now Wiki Wednesday is posted once every other week, or semimonthly. On the weeks Wiki Wednesday is not posted, there will be a Monday article. Monday articles range from recovered UTAUs to investigations. Recovered UTAUs are easy to write for but rare, and investigations take hours to write. That's part of the reason I added Wiki Wednesday - to give me a small break from my research heavy investigations! 

The posting schedule will ideally be Monday and Friday articles one week, Wednesday and Friday articles the next, and then back to Monday and Friday. Depending on how much time I am able to dedicate to this blog, I may expand to Monday, Wednesday, and Friday articles every week. However, I find that slightly unlikely!

I hope that I can introduce people to new UTAUs using this feature! Check back every other week for a new Wiki Wednesday 😃

No comments:

Post a Comment