Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Friday, June 19, 2020

Forgotten Friday #78 - 楽音ルイ / Rakune Lui

All I want to do is tune USTs! Make up Japanese lyrics and then sing classic American jams like "American Pie"! (Yes, I am aware how weirdly tone deaf translating that song into any language other than English is... Though, Weird Al making it into a Star Wars parody is kind of equally tone deaf.) But, I woke up and my voice was like "haha, loser!" and I sounded like Kermit. I have to sing to tune for it to be extra realistic and make CV banks shine like crazy diamonds. So, next best thing... I'm going to binge articles so that I don't have to worry about getting behind if life ends up happening.

Forgotten Friday #78 - 楽音ルイ / Rakune Lui


So, I accidentally downloaded eight gigabytes of UTAUs for Wiki Wednesday and was so excited to jump in! But then I saw there was something in the folder I use to test out banks. Little Lui was there! I had unpacked him and was ready to go when sleepiness got in the way and I couldn't go on and even start another article.

So, I was ready to get going on one thing, but then I had to do a different thing. Technically, I could shuffle him archive back to my downloads folder... But naw, I'm doing it. 

Who is Lui Rakune?


taken from UTAU Visual Archive

So, this is slightly confusing. With art, small mistakes can have a huge effect on how someone interprets it. So, you'll probably notice that in the official art, I'd say the UTAU wears a C cup bra due to the shadows. 

It's a twelve year old boy. The chest is meant to be flat. But, I guess the artist may have just had the same workflow for all images and didn't stop to think about the whole topography of the situation? Who knows. 

Speaking of bras, and I may have already said this... Fellow women, get professionally fitted for a bra. Using guides online, you can fit yourself perfectly and buy something that is magical online. But, the real reason to get professionally fitted is because the person fitting you will run and find the best options for you that are already in the store. You get to try them on and bam. Having the right bra will just straight up improve your self confidence so much. 

Anyway, Lui has one of those bios where it's really just a list of facts. He's a 2009 UTAU, and I don't expect anything more than what the Visual Archive gives us. (For the era, Lui has a pretty defined character.)

He's impatient and he likes doughnuts. He likes all sweets, but he really likes doughnuts. (Same.) I'm so confused about one section, though. It says that the thing he takes pride in is getting sick? 

Oh! I get it! Okay so, this took a few leaps of logic to get to, but I think it's correct. Lui is twelve, but he is under five feet tall. His BMI is 16.5, which is dangerously underweight. People often fawn over him and tell him he's a cute chibi, but the truth is that he is extremely sick. Sick with what, you might ask? Well, I don't know. Probably something that's not life threatening, but still interferes with his daily life and prevents him from holding down too many doughnuts. 

How is Rakune Lui's bank?


Like most 2009 banks, Lui has one CV bank. And I think I have the most thematically correct test UST for this bank! But his voice was a little strong for it, so I changed plans.

The strangest thing about this bank is just the fact that I expected the UTAU to sound like a woman pretending to be a boy, but it sounds more like a man trying to be a boy. He has two other UTAUs which are related to him, which I do remember sounding like actual young women. It is probably a different voice provider maybe? Or, it's a really talented lady or something. Who even knows!

So, no OTOs whatsoever, and some of the consonants (such as the t in ta) are clipped. The voice really isn't my cup of tea... at all. It's really hard to describe what the voice is, beyond very voice acted. It sounds like... Okay so, I'm really thinking hard about what this voice sounds like, and I can hear it in my head. But I can't place it! Barney Rubble? Yogi Bear? I can hear the voice like "heh, heh, heh, what's up kids?" But I can't put a cartoon face to the cartoon voice! It's like that, but gender bent to be younger.

Anyway, please comment with what cartoon character you're thinking of.


Where can I download Lui Rakune?


You can download him from his release video, linked to on his UTAU Visual Archive page. I'm not sure who this voice really appeals to, and it really seems to conflict with his design. But on well!

No comments:

Post a Comment