Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Wiki Wednesday #70 - 忘音ネム / Nem Wasurene

I will start by saying that I want to do this logically and start at the top of the list of UTAUs I know I have a complete collection of and then go down. However... This collection has over twenty UTAUs that qualify. Most are just one pitch CV banks that were made to justify an OC, as opposed to being made because they wanted to make an UTAU. That would be boring. So I do need to jump around a bit to not get too boring. As before, I'll try not to do two UTAUs from one group in a row... But these may pop up every other week if I'm too out of it to render samples for five different banks for one article.


Wiki Wednesday #70 - 忘音ネム / Nem Wasurene


My ex was ultra into rap. I think he faked some of his musical preferences to be "hip" and "cool", but he truly did love rap. (He's the reason I love jazz. So, if you ask me if I like jazz as a meme, the answer is unironically yes.)

This character's backstory is that the are a robot who had a massive power failure and were thrown in a trash can. Which instantly reminded me of the 2Pac song, "How Do U Want It". I remember we were listening and I just looked over at my ex confused. "Did he just say growing up like an n-word in a trash can?" My ex, who bragged about understanding Fall Out Boy without subtitles, just confirmed it. I was stuck having the incorrect lyrics playing in my head for a few years before I finally Googled it. It's "Coming up as an n-word in a cash game."

So, that was all to say that this UTAU has nothing to do with 2Pac.

Who is Wasurene Nem?

Official Icon Packaged with Bank

I can read Japanese... I just really don't want to bother most of the time. I paste everything into Google Translate and then read it myself if it makes no sense. Something you'll learn from Japanese UTAU biographies is that they often make no sense, even to someone who is fluent in the language. This is a different example from other UTAU's, though. The biography is written a very understandable way that is easily translated. 

It's just that the characterization feels a little... weird? I've written articles where I called out people for using cyborg when they mean robot, so imagine my surprise when this UTAU was classified as a "virtual body". First, in official art, we can see inside of Nem's body. He has parts of his body that are missing pixels if you see him as an image or faces / polygons if you see him as a mesh. Inside of the holes, there is nothing but blackness. But, the blackness really is just the inside of a mesh without a reversible texture. When his leg is turned so that you can see through the holes, there's nothing on the other side. It's really as if someone went into Blender, picked a few faces, and then deleted them. 

So, okay. Nem is a digital construct who lives in a computer. I guess? There was a power failure, and he fell asleep and was put in a trash can. So, the computer was working fine other than him? Then Eve found him and woke him up, because he searches for lost data. I mean... I guess? Now, he yearns for sleep, but cannot sleep because he fears the trash can.

Are they in a computer? Are they in The Matrix?

Actually, they are in a complex alternate universe that actually has nothing to do with the UTAU libraries. My best guess for this character in specific is that Nem was a digital construct that lived inside a super computer. After Eve was assassinated, he was also uploaded into the super computer and spent all of his time scraping for any information to... Stop... Vindicate...? I don't know! I'm relying on Google Translate here, because I mean... Look at that wall of text. 

We'll be back to talk about more fleshed out and important characters in this alternate universe eventually.

How is Wasurene Nem's bank?


One pitch, hiragana encoded CV. The OTOs aren't very good at all. This sample is really short, because it's kind of all you need to know. The sound quality is decent. The samples are pretty consistent and well record... But this isn't an UTAU you use for the voice. This is an UTAU that you use for the backstory. It's not bad, but it's pretty generic.


Where can I download Nem Wasurene?


You can download him from his character page. I'm really confused, but we'll learn more with the other UTAUs from this collective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment