Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Wiki Wednesday #84 - 冬野さい / Fuyuya Sai

2/2! Whoo! I thought this was the second to last Vegedol that qualified, but when I last checked, Kako didn't have a bank uploaded... And I found out that her bank was a 404. I sent a message to the contact form saying that much, but I was too lazy to write it properly, so I just said "Kako's bank is 404" in Japanese. Will they know what that means? Will they even read the message? Who even knows!


Wiki Wednesday #84 - 冬野さい / Fuyuya Sai


I had to look up what hakusai is. It's napa cabbage! So, this UTAU's personality is cabbage. I am literally going to make everything up, because like... The personality is cabbage. What personality does cabbage have? None.

Who is Sai Fuyuya?

Official Art from Website

Okay so, the name Napa in Napa cabbage actually comes from Japan, where the name is Hakusai. Nappa means the leaves of any vegetable used for food. 

Alright, so, remember when I made up that story for Okra Neri? This kid is getting the same treatment.

Sai was born to wealthy plantation owners in the Antebellum South. She thought she was the most beautiful socialite to ever grace Georgia, but she was delusional. Her voice sounded like like a frog and everyone called her Froggy behind her back. Her parents knew this, so they tried to think of a nickname that they could give her. They picked Cabbage for how her dresses, which she demanded to be pea soup green, covered her white petticoats. She refused to wear anything less than three petticoats that had whale bone boning in them.

Then one day, Sherman showed up and everything burnt to the ground. Because this is fiction, there was the Salt Man who followed Sherman everywhere and salted every inch of land. Is that even close to realistic? No, but I'm also writing this to not mention slavery, so like, you know.

Sai's parents hated her after this point. She was loud, obnoxious, and materialistic. She demanded they buy her new dresses. They got so angry, they put her on a boat with her one last dress on the Mississippi and watched it float away while she screamed and shouted. This was before the Panama canal, so it was literally impossible for her boat, which would dump her out in the Gulf of Mexico, to take her to Japan. Could the boat itself somehow navigate around South America, through the Arctic Ocean, or around Africa? I mean, technically. But she was put on the boat with no food or water. Just her and her dress. So, she ended up in Japan and met the Vegedols. No one liked her, but they felt sorry for her and afraid of her because she has been alive since like... the 1800s. So, they let her play cowbell in their band. She was able to get new dresses with plastic boning installed and eventually forgot English entirely and only spoke Japanese. 

Does this make sense? no. Is it gross and revisionist? I mean, everyone hated her and she got put on a boat. Her parents were bad enough people to put her on a boat to die in the Gulf of Mexico. So, I mean, the slave owners were inherently abhorrent people in the story. That has to count for something, right? 

How are Sai Fuyuya's banks?


Well, from the description in her backstory... They're kind of not that great. She is advertised as having three banks, but the CV is included in the VCV recorded in the same style because it is lite VCV. There was a Vegedol, if I remember correctly, who had a lite VCV without the accompanying CV bank. Thankfully, Sai's second VCV is full VCV and has no CV included. 

So, how is her first VCV listed, yasashisa? It's... So, basically, compared to her other VCV, it is softer. However, that's not saying much. The softness has less to do with being a soft bank and more to do with microphone quality. It's just... Not the best. However, in a strange turn of events, her CV is actually pretty good and completely incompatible with the VCV. I'll include both in this sample, CV then VCV. I mean, both are bad, but the CV is more understandable and less... weirdly muffled.




Next is her "beautiful" VCV.  It has a really bad metallic whine. I think it could easily be removed in REAPER, but like... That's not a good sign, right? I'm generally anti-flag, but this bank needs something to just get rid of the whine, so I'm adding H50.

With the filter, is it much better than the other banks? Yes. A million times yes. But... Does requiring there to be a filter to not break your ears bad? Kinda.


Where can I download Sai Fuyuya?


You can download her from the Vegedol download page. I know I was kind of a snarky jerk throughout this but like... The Vegedol crew will never see this blog. I know that it's nearly impossible for me to hurt anyone's feelings over this because like... you know... No one involved will see this. I won't be like this for overseas banks because I really, really don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. (Unless there's special circumstances, of course.)

It's a meh UTAU. Each bank has a specialty that might appeal to someone. The soft VCV used to be one of my favorite voice types, but it's just... strange. It's all strange. 

No comments:

Post a Comment