Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Wiki Wednesday #55 - 音多キリ / Kiri Neta

This name makes me think of a nursery rhyme from France. "Alouette". Now, what confuses me is that the word is pronounced without the final "e", but in the song, even in the nursery rhyme on Youtube (don't worry, I used incognito mode to not jack up my recommendations), the first verse is pronounced "All-u-eh-TUH". They say it correctly in one of the participation sections. I thought being American as heck is what made me add that "TUH". Anyway, it's about plucking feathers from a bird.

Wiki Wednesday #55 - 音多キリ / Kiri Neta

Don't fully trust Google Translate. Why? Well, Google Translate made this UTAU trans. "いたいけな少女" means young and sweet girl. Google Translate will tell you that's what it means... After you remove the "Gender:" part that is included in list based biographies. Before you remove that, it's "I want a girl". If the gender is "I want a girl", then the UTAU is probably AMAB MtF. But, no. Kiri is a young and sweet girl.

Who is Neta Kiri?

Official Art Packaged with Bank

So, as I said earlier, Neta Kiri is a girl. She's only fourteen. Why does she have a favorite weapon? Why is she obsessed with someone named Tei? I mean...

Alright, so I picked this UTAU because she has six banks and I can render off six samples and talk about them for several words. And those several words about the bank would get me pretty close to six hundred words, and then I will be able to publish the article. And by several, I mean over fifty. Fifty words per bank is three hundred words for that section, so that would just mean needing three hundred for the other sections. 

As a note, checking the UTAU Wiki description with the original, Japanese description is always a lark. On the UTAU Wiki, her favorite item is beef bowl. (Dear Lord, if a Yoshinoya set up shop in my home state of (is my home state a secret publicly?) I would die of happy, metaphorically.) In her original description, she loves beef bowls because Tei loves beef bowls. She also loves interrogating people other than Tei. 

How in the living heck did I not realize it was Sukone Tei. Well, I know why. Google Translate spat her name out as Kenne Tei. It's really funny because when I glanced over her bio, I legit thought "This is giving me Sukone Tei vibes..." And it is meant to be Sukone Tei vibes!

How are Kiri Neta's banks?

Kiri here has many banks. Six, to be exact. And boy howdy, was it a good idea to focus on the rendering and not the writing right now.

I'll go down the order on her blog, which I believe is chronological from past to present.

So, anyway, her first bank is CV beta. I believe this is her only CV bank. Since she is a Japanese UTAU, it's obviously hiragana encoded. The OTO choices seem a little off, because the consonants are really, really long. That makes the notes look like they're VCV and not CV! Generally, I would advocate for including all of the consonant, but these consonants are so long. 

I can't tell if her "yo" is a "yu" or not, but her mic quality is staggering. I legitimately really, really like this UTAU.


Next is her VCV 1.0, which confused me a bit because the VCV is dropped from the folder name and replaced with 1.0. The ZIP has the correct name, though.

This bank is a three pitch VCV. Didn't expect that, actually. The pitches are A3, D4, and F#4. I don't think I'm the biggest fan. The pitch distribution is really good, and it does sound pretty natural. I think that though the creator of this UTAU was trying for Sukone Tei, this bank hits more as Kanipan. (The sample is short so that I can fit more samples in the folder!)



The next bank is her VCV 1.5. And wow. Guess how many pitches. Six!! That is so many pitches! I think the pitches don't work as well together. Of course, if you love the bottom three pitches, you can edit the prefix map to only use them. You can also edit the prefix map to do any number of things to make this bank more to your liking. I went a little crazy with dragging notes around to demonstrate all of her pitches.



Now, the banks start having names! The next bank is "Acacia". It is a three pitch VCV with pitches at A3, E4, and C5. For the most part, my testing Meltdown UST has all of those, but I bumped up the final part to really show off the C5. I edited the prefix map a bit. I made it a bit unnatural (seriously, that pitch blending was perfection and I jacked it up) but it also showcased A3. A3 is beautiful and made me doubt this was still Neta Kiri. The higher pitches aren't grating like the previous banks and I love this bank so much. 




Next on the list is Mimosa. Americans really only know Mimosa as a drink, but in Japan, there is a plant named Mimosa that is also called the sleeping tree. So, I went in thinking it would be a bank that was ready to party, but instead I'm imagining it will be a sleepy tree. It is a three pitch CVVC, meaning I'll be pretending it's a CV bank.

I was very wrong about the whole "Maybe she's a sleepy head!" angle. Sadly, she is very much not sleepy and is instead very vibrant. The pitch blending with the lowest pitch, A3, is abysmal in some places, but that's more so just an error in recording, I believe. I extended A3 in the prefix map after hearing the problem, and the problem didn't get worse. It was just those problem notes.

Maybe I'm just annoyed at the name not foretelling what the bank was, but it's not my favorite. And that's why the sample is so dang short!



Finally, we're at her last bank: Citron. Citron is a four pitch CVVC. I just hit a thousand words, so I don't really need to say much to pad this out. One of the pitches, B4, is completely absent from the prefix map. I added B4 and saw why it was axed. It's very soft and airy. It doesn't pitch blend at all. But, it might be the time I've liked Kiri the best.


Where can I download Kiri Neta?

You can download all of Kiri's banks from her homepage. Other than some recording boo-boos, this is a really high quality UTAU. I'm not the biggest fan of this voice type anymore, but I think it is pretty big in the fandom. Maybe I didn't check correctly and this UTAU is already famous! I'm a little loopy from actually sitting down and getting this done! I need to do more long ones like this to not get tired from useless padding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment