Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Friday, April 10, 2020

Forgotten Friday #68 - Yuge Kikansha

I'm okay! My last entry was written Feb 9, 2020, and it is now the fourth of March. That feels like such a giant hiatus, yet no one would realize it unless I pointed it out. Time goes wonky when you're depressed, so it simultaneously feels like I abandoned the blog for a year, yet it often feels like I abandoned it for just a few days. But, hopefully my month long stretch of only leaving the bed to watch TV is cured.

Forgotten Friday #68 - Yuge Kikansha

Alright, this UTAU doesn't have a Wiki page. It doesn't even have a kanji name. I searched up and down for any information, and there is almost none. I was however able to track down his gender from descriptions from YouTube videos! Yay!

Yuge was made by the same person who made Coco Sukoshi. From what I've seen, Yuge never got his own release. He was just packaged with her, and that was that. Yuge's character file also had no information. So... Well...

Who is Kikansha Yuge?

Official Icon Packaged with Bank

I'm better at art than I was in 2009, but I still don't think I could do Kei style, even by tracing. I mean, I'm looking at a Kei style icon, and I can see the exact details that make it Kei style. But I don't get it exactly.

It's so crazy, though. Where we are now as a fandom, I think we all balk at Kei style and see it as kind of inadequate for VOCALOIDs. But back in the day? It was the golden standard we strove for. (I don't like that strived isn't a word. Is it a uniquely Southern thing to get mad that there are irregular past tenses? )

Anyway, here's your cue to scroll down to the next section if you don't want to hear my life update. There's really nothing to write about Yuge as a character, so what else am I going to write about?

So, yesterday I was fully hyped up to get started writing an article for this blog. I was getting ready after drinking my coffee and then the power went out. It was around 1 AM, and I had to help my mom get ready for work. It was hard with no electricity, but we had a little LED lantern and the water was still running just fine. I had my phone, but I wanted to conserve battery. (Also, being rural means no cellphone signal in our house. WiFi was dead, so no internet.) It was storming, but the rain wasn't too loud and the lightning was at least eight miles away at all times. I just sat on my bed in darkness until I moved to the couch and spent time with my cat. I watched the sky lighten up like I was watching television until I just decided to go to bed and take a nap. The power was out for six hours, even after it had brightened up and there was no rain at all.

So, imagine our shock when we found out that most of Middle Tennessee was trashed. There had been a tornado outbreak. The nearest city was really, really badly off. Entire neighborhoods had been leveled. And, I'm just sitting there staring at the news, feeling confused. What was a pleasant but boring night for me was a nightmare for so many people. All schools in the area are closed for the rest of the week, and I don't even know where people are going to buy groceries for a good while. I'm completely fine! My Grandparents were in the same situation as us. Not even a single tree downed. So, that's really, really good for me. 

On a political note, Elizabeth Warren's campaign sent out an email saying how sorry they were and giving addresses for shelters. That was so sweet, even if it was just a ploy to get votes in the primary. 

Okay, that's enough about me!

How is Yuge Kikansha's bank?

So first, no OTO. Technically there is one, but it's just the aliases. It's recorded in a way where you technically don't need OTOs, which is a silly thing to say.

The average frequency is F3. Now, I decided to do the OTOs for a very short phrase, and I quickly realized there are some substantial issues. "na" sounds like "ga" for some reason. I can't tell you the technical description at the moment, as my depression brain fog hasn't scoot-a-loo'd yet, but the microphone was tinny to the point that there's like... There's this airplane of metal doing "ting!" randomly, and it did a barrel roll through the samples. It sounds like metal. Some resamplers can shoo that metal sound away, but I use default so that no one downloads a bank and says "Why this sound this way?"

Whether you like this bank or not is predicated by how much nostalgia you have. It's not a bad voice, but there's caveats. There is a mechanical whine and some of the pronunciation is off. I don't mean the standard "the r's are English!" I mean that "zu" is "ju" and "shi" is "chi". If you want to use a bank that sounds like it's from 2009, then this is a great little bank. Listening to the sample really does remind me of back in the day, and that makes me happy. But, if you want this voice without the problems, download Sukoshi Coco. Coco's new bank pulls off the Yuge voice extremely well. I do kind of prefer Yuge to Coco's low pitch just for nostalgia purposes, but I'm a weirdo.


Where can I download Kikansha Yuge?

Yuge never had his own release. He was realized in the same ZIP as an early Sukoshi Coco bank. You can find that bank on Coco's Wiki page

Does this article solely exist so I could ramble on about what's going on in my life? Maybe. On the flip side, this bank is really good for people who just want to relive 2009. I do really like it in a nostalgia way, and you might also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment