Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Friday, February 19, 2021

Forgotten Friday #113 - 魔法幼女★まじかるさおにゃん / Magical Saonyan

 The full English version of the name is Magic Little Girl Magical Saonyan. That's too long.

Forgotten Friday #113 - 魔法幼女★まじかるさおにゃん / Magical Saonyan


So, two seemingly unrelated people named their UTAUs using the same exact structure and they're rivals now. The previous one with this naming convention, I had to put the article on hold.


Even with ad block, it kept showing me gross ads and I didn't want to look at that mess. I could elaborate and sound less like a sister in a convent, but naw.


Thankfully, this UTAU's site is safe! It is hard to navigate, but I don't care as long as I'm able to look around without being assaulted by icky things.


Who is Magical Saonyan?


Official Art from Bank

Because I have no idea what order these go in because one family has five UTAUs in a row, I don't know if this will get posted before or after the article where I had originally stated this. So I'll state it again! 


Popular vocal synths have a specific style. The anatomy is the perfect stylization that gives you a cute feeling. The coloring is a soft and clear approximation of watercolor that seems to only be possible on Clipstudio. (If anyone reads this, please tell me the name of this style of coloring so that I can read and watch tutorials! The only on Clipstudio part was a joke.)


The designs themselves are objectively bad design half the time. They're too crowded, there isn't enough contrast, and if your eyes defocus even slightly, you have no idea what's going on. But here's the thing. Those bad choices are what makes good vocal synth art and design good vocal synth art and design. That's just how it is. Rev and Kai-Kim make amazing art and have great designs, but it doesn't look "vocal synth" the way something like this does.


So, there's no nit-picking on the design here beyond the fact that it hurts my brain to try and actually analyze it. It shorts out and I just say, "That sure is a pretty good UTAU design that would be popular."


魔法幼女 is more of a Chinese thing apparently? I'm pretty sure Saonyan here is Japanese, but the magical girl genre is 魔法女. Yōjo, the word used here, just means little girl as opposed to just girl. Sailor Moon is considered magical girl, but she's a teenager. 


Saonyan is thirteen years old, which is a year younger than that Madoka girl I think? I'm a bad weeaboo. 


Her rival just doesn't have a real name, but her real name is Yaotome Saori if Google Translate read it correctly. The kanji are "八乙女 沙織" Yaotome is a combination of "eight" (ya) and an outdated way of using kanji for "female usually between the ages of seven and eighteen" (otome). Saori comes from "one hundred millionth" (sa) and "woven item" (ori). I'm not sure how much meaning those all hold - I just know they really wanted her name to be Saori.


The only reason I was able to just figure out that her birthday was May 5th was because 5/5 can't be read incorrectly. 1/12 could be December 1st or January 12th. Of course, I could say "This is a Japanese site. Month goes first." But that extra step in logic confuses me enough that I don't remember to count the months on my hand. Everything between March and July I need to count on my hands. Sometimes I forget the order of September, October, and November. This is why it was dumb that the disability judge thought I was too smart to be disabled. What grown woman has to count months on her hands?! Me.


Her personality is one of innocence and blind obedience. She loves tomatoes and hates melons, studying, and exercising.


She's cheerful and clumsy, but she fights evil with the power of love!


How is Magical Saonyan's bank?


She's different from the nine others I've processed today! She has a two pitch VCV bank.

She is a good UTAU with a good bank, but it is a bit to "yelly" and "forced kawaii" for me. However, if you like those things, this UTAU will be amazing for you. It absolutely helps that her pitches blend together flawlessly.


Where can I download Magical Saonyan?


I shouldn't just give you the link to the distribution page, but it's really difficult to find what you want on that site. 

She is a really good UTAU with a lot of work put into her, even if she's not my cup of tea.

1 comment:

  1. i actually like her design, but i can see where you're coming from. her design is an aquired taste. and about madoka's age, you're correct! madoka is 14. and speaking of madoka, there's an utau named kane tomo who, design wise, looks similar to madoka. she's my all time my fav so ofc i'd reccomend her but she might not be your cup of tea. she's positiveley pink from head to toe, and has a cutesy voice

    ReplyDelete