Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Wiki Wednesday #103 - 頭音直時 / Kashirane Naotoki

So, I'll admit that I've been balking at this UTAU's existence a bit. I counted wrong in the article. Not including the "old banks" (if they wanted us to use them, they wouldn't be segregated!), there are eleven and the archives take up 2.14 gigabytes in my download folder. I need to clear these out, ASAP. My poor baby computer is running out of space! Right now, I can't go fast. I wasted so much time last week just lovingly giving an UTAU beautiful samples to show the world her very best. I want to use UTAU and enjoy it right now, in the back of my mind, so now's the time to bite the bullet and get through eleven banks in one sitting. 


Forgotten Friday #103 - 頭音直時 / Kashirane Naotoki


You all know my rules by now - every article has to be six hundred words. As I'm writing this in bed on my phone, I kind of realize I need almost no introduction or character description. There are nine banks. Maybe more, since the visual archive may be out of date. If I were to give each bank fifty words each, that section alone would nearly get me to that goal. But, you know, if I slack off and just put the picture in the who is this UTAU section now, how lazy will I get in the future?

Who is Naotoki Kashirane?

official icon from site



It appears that he has a design for every bank. They do have common threads. All of the outfits are similar enough. The only design that is missing the fur around the neck has a scarf, for example. The color schemes tend to go towards neutrals and crimson. His hair is brown, and for some reason he has day-glo pink eyes.


He has one of those "I don't know if it makes sense in Japanese" biographies. He is a teen who is closer to twenty than ten. He is curious and optimistic, and he has… big reactions? During a crisis, his blood is heard? I pulled out my offline dictionary, and apparently "血が騒ぐ" is a fancy way of saying that he gets excited. I think what it means is that during a crisis, he feels compelled to act. He'll taunt those who oppose him because he wants a fight. He instantly seduces women or something? The last line of the section was really weird and I'm so confused.


He is a treasure hunter, but he gets really sad when he gets called a thief. 


On one hoof, I want these blurbs to reach six hundred words on their own. On the other hoof, I'll have a lot to say about the banks themselves. That said, how are the many, many, way too many recordings?



How are Kashirane Naotoki's banks?




Hi! I came back here to say something as a note. This UTAU basically is the dream of a lot of the fandom. It's got a lot of data, and has a really popular voice type. I wasn't a fan of this voice type, but it's still one of the most popular types.



I'm snarky and a jerk because I have to process eleven different samples, most of them requiring editing the prefix map to get everything to play. I make sure all suffixes play at least once, and don't do much past that because there's just so much. Hence three second samples for banks with less pitches. I'm being mean, but I know that there will be some people for whom this is will be their new Poiyo or Keine Ron or something of that sort. Ignore my ramblings if you like the voice, because I just need to stay sane somehow.

Unless stated that it is CVVC, all of the banks are VCV.


........................................

Too many. There are far too many. There's so many, I almost want to cry at how many. As archives, they add up to over two gigabytes. How much will they take up unzipped? See, crying. And this is missing his two old banks that were banished to a different page!

Let's try going in an order. The big hitters are at the top, so I'll start with the ones at the bottom.

Yggdrasill. It's a magic tree that's extremely important to Norse mythology. It is a CVVC with five pitches. The OTOs are horrifically awful and I can't use them for CVVC without completely remaking them. Boo!!

I edited the prefix map to make all the pitches show up in this sample. He's yelling and I don't like it.





Next is Paradise. How in the Sam Hill is he missing samples from pitches? I saw the OTOs weren't garbage, so I opened my Gunjoo Chou CVVC UST. Noticed that CV samples just didn't show up. Why?! How is this the second time this has happened to me in the last few days?!

It's only three pitches, and I like it better. But why is this a common, recurring theme with CVVC banks? And I just saw. The VC OTOs are spot on, but the CV are garbage. WHY.



There is one bank in the "other" section. It is named Wing. It is a one pitch VCV bank, and that makes me extremely happy. It is meant to be integrated into other banks and has the suffix "裏_F#4".


It's okay. It's a cute and sweet voice.





Next are the weak banks. Those are the kind of banks I like!

Rain is a VCV bank with three pitches. I like it. It's pretty cool.



Next is Abyss. It is another three pitch VCV. It doesn't really sound like a soft bank to me. It's okay I guess.



Next are strong banks. Bleh. I don't like those.

First is Sun. It has three pitches. The prefix map excluded C4 entirely. How rude! I added it back in. It's yelly. I'm not really a fan.



Then there is Gray. Gray doesn't sound like a yelly color to me. This bank is strange because the folders are named ↑、↓、中. And yes, I just forgot the reading for "up". I was so used to seeing it in kanji compounds, I knew it was "jou", but I couldn't remember "ue". It's recorded wrong, and you can hear that at points.




One more yelly bank. Hawk. It has four pitches. It is higher pitched than the other yelly ones. There's some dorps, but I think that might be a FRQ problem.



Now on to Normal. There is only one bank: Ray. It has three pitches, and all are in the third octave. It's okay.



So, I had to use radical search to figure out what the word "統合" meant, as the word was in an image file. Well, great news everybody!! Brave and Glory are compilations! That word means Consolidation! But, it isn't just the banks in the same folder. Nope! It has them as one big bank with a prefix map.

I played with them a bit, and honestly, you're better off picking the banks you like individually. As much as I can give this UTAU flack for having too many banks, the banks are well coordinated so that each bank is distinct and is all matchy-matchy. There wasn't nearly as much thought put into Brave and Glory to make them more cohesive.

Where can I download Kashirane Naotoki? 



If you include the Brave and Glory, as their usage will end up sounding different than the other ones, despite being the same files... That is how much space you need on your computer to house all of these banks.

Getting rid of the compilation banks it's only 1.58 gigabytes. "only". hah... The folder where I did all of the work is nearly five gigabytes. It's a really, really big UTAU.

Download him from his download page. And you definitely don't need to download all of his banks, or even his compilation banks. You don't need to dedicate that much space to him to use him! But I had to for the blog. I think I would like him a lot more if there wasn't so much to test.

No comments:

Post a Comment