Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Wiki Wednesday #107 - 草声ネム / Sousei Nemu

So, something really strange happened. I... click and dragged and a link to Trackdancer's latest article on LearnMMD ended up in the body here and now the font looks funny. So strange. I wasted about an hour going through and making sure every UTAU on my spreadsheet to seventy had the information on their wiki page. I added the information for three UTAUs, and one actually had no information in his bank at all. Strange. I was annoyed I wasted the time, but I'm happy I did it so that all of those UTAUs can be written about quickly without worry about missing information. Then I wasted uh... maybe three hours making a word version of my English list. I did not spend any of my time wisely so far.

Wiki Wednesday #107 - 草声ネム / Sousei Nemu



I am really happy! Basically, except for one note I left myself, 228 through 257 have been written about. 

Doing the samples can take anywhere from ten minutes to nearly two hours. I mean, one UTAU had nine samples I had to make. One I just really wanted to make pretty. But because I reach for six hundred words on the phone sections, I can literally just go "here it is. She sounds nice." That's so awesome! Also, limiting myself to only be doing it during free internet time means I can't get burnt out as easily. I did five and I want to do five more, but if I did ten, would I want to do five tomorrow? Mind you, if I did UTAUs with one one pitch cv bank, I could do three in an hour! 

But I do get distracted.

Who is Nemu Sousei?


Art from Visual Archive

Nemu somehow feels like a common UTAU name. I'm not sure if it is. 

Nemu is the spirit of Albizia julibrissin. Apparently, those are what mimosas are called! I always knew that a mimosa was a flower, but I actually imagined it being the baby of a hibiscus and a magnolia.

This is an UTAU with three lines of biography. I can get off track. When I was staying with my friend in Koreatown, the street outside of her apartment was kind of weird. At the end of it, there were hibiscus flowers planted. They smelled so beautiful, you just had to stop and fill your lungs with their beautiful scent. Well, you'd walk past them, breathing deep because you just had to soak it in as long as you could… and then there was an abandoned couch that rank of death. Not even kidding. I saw people sitting on it and hanging out a few times, but walking past it was completely awful, even if you held your breath. 

You see the problem? The hibiscus told you everything was going to be beautiful, and then there was the homeless couch. The people who hung out on it probably had homes. It was abandoned during the night. But the couch had no home.

Anyways! Mimosas are mimosas, but there are other mimosas. A. julibrissin is definitely the most beautiful though. The Wikipedia image for mimosas themselves looks like a thistle. I believe the distinction is that real mimosas are vines and shrubs, but A. julibrissin is a tree. For the rest of this, mimosa means the tree. 

So, Nemu takes his name from the Japanese name of the plant. At nighttime, the flowers and leaves wilt like they're going to sleep! Hence nemu, which basically means sleepy.

I… kind of feel like everyone who draws him has no idea what a mimosa is. Mimosas don't have petals. Mimosas have inflorescences. That kind of means that one stem has a lot of buds. Each bud has a big poof of stamens. So, it's like part of a koosh ball was cut up and stuffed into those tubes. It looks like silk, hence the name Persian Silk Tree. Almost everyone who draws Nemu draws his tail as a flower with petals. I honestly thought it was a rose originally.

Nemu himself is adorable. He's a little woods nymph with grey hair. He wears brown boots, green pants, and a grey shirt. The pants are actually plant material, and he has a vine winding around his leg and sticking out like a tail. That's where everyone draws everything except a flower from nemunoki. Heck, nemunoki don't grow on vines. They bud directly on the branches. His character art can't even properly represent the Persian Silk Tree flowers! 

How is Sousei Nemu's bank?


He only has one. It is a one pitch CV bank.


The average pitch is F#3. That's... way lower than I was expecting with that design.

OTOs are bad in a really weird way. Even for liquids like m, the overlap is negative. The consonants are a bit cut, and the voice doesn't match the design, but it's a nice voice.




Where can I download Nemu Sousei?


You can download him from a link on his UTAU Visual Archive page. I'm a little dizzy from getting distracted for so long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment