Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Wiki Wednesday #24 -夜鷹センリ / Senri Yodaka

In a rather deserted area of town, there was a bar. They didn't get much traffic, but they did get a lot of non-paying customers. Due to those non-paying customers, they hung a sign that said "No jokes allowed." One day, a chicken walked in. Of course, chickens don't even have pockets to hold money. The bartender asked, "Are you a joke?" The chicken nervously clucked. The bartender responded, "Go to the bar across the road."

Wiki Wednesday #24 -夜鷹センリ / Senri Yodaka

Let me start by saying that there might be more than a few banks that break the rules that I downloaded in my latest binge. There were one or two I didn't even look up on YouTube when I saw how abysmal the views were on the linked Nicovideo videos.

I'm not really going to double check, because I've binged enough for fifteen articles and I need to get them all out so that I can feel like I accomplished something.

Anyway, I noticed the cutest thing on this UTAU's distribution page. Senri's voice provider spells "download" as "downlord". Which does make sense, in the fact that sometimes a long vowel in Japanese is used to represent a rhotacized vowel in English. Anyway, on to the article.

Who is Yodaka Senri?

Official Art Packaged With Bank
Senri is eighteen years old and loves cream soda. She was made by 芹澤 and after actually using Jisho instead of just using Google Translate, I have learned that you should not translate or read this UTAU's description because bad. Very bad.

I mean, I'm the kid saying using Ritsu is problematic. I should avoid this because it is problematic, but I'm already here so let's just pretend I never figured out what the description said. It's only on her website and not packaged with the bank. The UTAU Wiki has the obtuse translation that makes it sound okay, so please just don't read her character description on her website page if you want to feel okay using this bank. 

How are the banks?

There are two banks. There is a CV and a VCV. However, the CV bank was corrupted when I downloaded it. As the size on disk and the size on AXFC are the same, I have a feeling that the issue was on the voice provider's end and not mine. When I tested it on my testing UST, the only issue I had was with "no". It just, like, didn't exist. The OTOs were wonk and it sounds similar enough to the VCV for me to only talk about and post the VCV sample.

The VCV OTOs are really good except for the fact that the person making them put so much care into putting the red line in a weird place. Liquids aren't too bad, but plosives and fricatives are put exactly where the spectrogram starts to look like a vowel, as opposed to when the spectrogram is stable. I'm sure I'll get yelled at for saying that placing the red line where the spectrogram is stable is the better option, but I'm okay with that. They're perfectly uniform using my standby numbers, so I'm still happy regardless.

I started fixing up the OTOs, but then I realized how silly I was being. The voice and design are perfect together. If you want one of those anime big sisters that is all stern and stuff, this bank is great. The voice is one of those that teeters on the edge of "too mature" and "just bright enough", so it really depends on how the fandom is feeling whether this voice is "acceptable" for the general public. 

Where can I download Senri Yodaka?

You can download Senri Yodaka on her official download page. She's not a bad UTAU, but I can see her not being used much at all because of her voice type. While there are people who love it, it often gets overlooked for brighter vocals. If this is your favorite voice type, then please give this girl some love!

No comments:

Post a Comment