Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Friday, August 2, 2019

Forgotten Friday #32 - 溶懸想ガロ / Tokesou Garo

Oh my goodness, this design is out for my heart! Will the rest of the UTAU also be after my heart?

Forgotten Friday #32 - 溶懸想ガロ / Tokesou Garo

So, this is a random UTAU from 2009 with a voice provider that, on first glance, is the same kind of tier as the Level Up family, with their blog being mostly Pokemon. It is bad to Nancy Drew people's genders, but a case like this makes it really hard not to really wonder. The divide between male and female is a lot more pronounced in Japan than it is in America, so seeing a blog and persona that feels exclusively male contrasts with the fact that Garo is, in fact, a fourteen year old girl. I mean, the name Garo's voice provider gives on their blog is "GROWLITHE". Now, they go by "Snow-viewing Radish", whereas they were previously "G-Dog". Yukimi Daikon sounds super feminine to an American.

Anyway, G-Dog was an Utaite. The main thing that would make me Nancy Drew Radish's gender as female is that their voice has basically remained the same between 2009 and 2012. That's not a long time, but it's enough time for a young boy's voice to crack noticeably. But do you know why that doesn't matter? G-Inu could identify as male! However, Japanese women who sound like "tom-boys" tend to sound the specific way that Yukimi does. It sounds boyish to untrained American ears, but feminine to someone who eats up Japanese content.

Sometimes, I just want to click buttons and learn, not study or do work. This was all pointless because I just won't bring up the voice provider again, meaning I didn't even have a reason to fret over pronouns.

Who is Garo Tokesou?

From Nicopedia Page

Garo is fourteen years old, and sometimes I just stare off into the distance. Like, reading the Nicopedia page is always more risky than reading the Wikia page of an UTAU. That is what I would be reading if it existed, but darn it!

Let's just say that the only thing that didn't make me uncomfortable was that this kid don't like insects.

How is the bank?

There are no OTOs, but SetParam has my back.

But, when you listen to the voice, you can see why I went into Nancy Drew mode. This is one of the best examples of an androgynous UTAU I've ever seen. Paired with the harsh color scheme of the blog, I was all like whaaat?! However, as I said earlier, this is a really common voice type for Japanese women who aren't super girly. 

I really shouldn't have sat down to write this today. My brain is so fuzzy. The sample is below. Please form opinions on it, as I cannot today. If you like it, you like it. Please use it if you like it.

Where can I download the bank?

The preoccupation on gender evident in this ar... Oh, download the bank, yeah. Here. Scroll down to "音源配布所" to find the link.

Do I want VCV? Maybe. Yeah. This bank doesn't check all of the boxes for me, but maybe a VCV would. But I tried and I don't even know how to contact Yukimi Daikon. If I could, I would, and I would ask for VCV.

I apologize, but my brain is fuzzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment