Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Wiki Wednesday #90 - 迷子再生 / Saisei Maigo

2/2. Whoo. I have a hard time saying good enough is good enough until I get really sick of it, and then I can't be done soon enough. But then I see a little glimmer of glimmering and really jump into it again. I thought, after this article, getting my two required and letting myself lose to the dice, I'll take a break. But then, I realized I'd need another to tie the dice, then another to beat the dice... And then, you know, I should at least push these out until 2021! I'm so close, right?!


Wiki Wednesday #90 - 迷子再生 / Saisei Maigo


So, one of the nice things about the old UTAU Wikia was the sections that were almost always off. Like, the name meaning. Often, there were just errors in assumptions when it came to kanji. The UTAU Wiki gets rid of that and doesn't make people explain themselves. Luckily, the voice provider still pulls through here.

Give me a second where I try to remember Japanese naming conventions. I'm a wreck right now. All I wanted to do was sing, but I could barely do it, and it hurt my throat something awful. If this blog was a car, I would have a bumper sticker that would say "My Other Car is Tuning USTs". Okay so, Hatsune Miku is Miku Hatsune if she immigrated to America and had to write her name on a test in an American classroom. So, Maigo is "Lost Child" which is her family name, and Saisei is her given name, which means rebirth. Got it!

Saisei wasn't her original name. It was Sais. I get why it was changed. It was supposed to be a reference to "seis", for six in Spanish. It was always meant to also be a reference to Saisei, so it made logical sense to change it.

Who is Maigo Saisei?

Official Art Packaged with Bank

So, Saisei actually has a full bio and I love it.

So, I'm sure if ashleyterain / mallowkey sees this, they will smack me upside the head for reading too far into things BUT

Saisei is an allegory for autism. 

Saisei is, in fact, a reincarnation. However, when she was reborn, she was damaged in some way that kept her from being or feeling fully human. She tries her hardest to fit into the world of people who aren't "broken" the way she feels she is. She resorts to singing to try and get people to let her in. All of her emotions beside hurt and loneliness are all a facade to hide what she's missing.

And and and!! She has a genderbend! And his name is a Tagalog pun!! I love it!

She just plays her video games. As much as she tries to be part of the world outside of her bubble, she struggles to hold a conversation. She can nod, shake her head, or stare blankly in most cases. It's an allegory and I love it. 

oh yeah. She's 17, her birthday is November 12th, and she plays video games on her PSP. Her other character item is a pumpkin. No one has ever seen her ears, but she's never hinted at why.

How are her banks?


Saisei has two banks that are available as far as I know. Sais and Act 3. Sais is old enough to have the original name, whereas Act 3 is Act 3. The bank named Maigo Sais was packaged in a ZIP as Maigo Saisei Act 2, so from now on, it's Act 2 and Act 3. 

The two acts aren't very far apart in distance of recording times. Act 2 somehow has almost all of the samples modified as 1/19/2012 8:10 PM. Act 3 was recorded over two or three days in late October of 2012. 

So, let's look at Act 2. Both are one pitch CV banks and romaji encoded. The OTOs are amazingly really good in some places! Others have overlap in the middle of a plosive, but that's... I still don't get why everyone thought that was correct considering that VCV was the gold standard by that point in history and people could see how VCV worked. This is nothing on the voice provider, because it just keeps happening.

She has the cutest and sweetest little muffle voice!! The pronunciation is sweet, and the muffles just make her so sweet and AAAA



The OTOs for Act 3 were done by sonictheunknown and... I don't get the way that people randomly disrespect the green light red light rule for OTOs when it comes to vowels. (Overlap, green, comes before a red light, preutterance.)  I disagree with the way the person who made them cut into the plosives to deemphasize them, but the overlap was pulled back to make it still a plosive.

Saisei's voice provider is Filipino, and the "r"s in Act 2 were plosives, but now "ru" is a liquid? I love me some liquid "r"s, so I'm not complaining. I'm just "huh."

Act 3 is an improvement to Act 2 in almost every way. I do miss the little muffle baby nature of Act 2 a little, but Act 3 has the same sweet tone, but with a nicer set-up. I know this will make her more nice to use for most people.


Where can I download Saisei Maigo?


You can download her from her UTAU Wiki page. She is a complete sweetheart! 

No comments:

Post a Comment