Axfc is a jerk. Here's my post on how to get downloads from there to work.

Multi-pitch CVVC banks do not work properly with the shareware A for automatic button!! Any articles where I complain about CVVC banks being broken is my own fault for not figuring it out sooner!!

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Wiki Wednesday #162 - Dr. Leaf / ドクター・リーフ

 I have decided to make everything much more complex. I think it will save me time, but it's silly. I'm "swiping" this on my phone into a Google docs and then copying it over to the blog itself and… I found a flaw in my logic, why not just do the first part on my phone? Well, I have no answers.

Wiki Wednesday #162 - Dr. Leaf / ドクター・リーフ

I should save the complaining for the section containing the information on the banks, but dang it. I was converting a UST to test Dr. Leaf with, and he was missing "ae y" and "ae iy", so how am I supposed to make him say Time?! If the answer is to use a diphthong, that's not my tuning style.

Dr. Leaf is a dude with an unknown age. He works at the SCP Foundation and is basically a self insert for leafy-p. My utau was my self insert character, and I always here for people feeling like their utau is really a reflection of them. Dr. Leaf is a jerk with a very Polish name. The information says that he likes metal, and I misread it at thinking he liked Deli Style - Jugga Jigga Wugga. I think it meant he likes actual metals like gold. His theme is tea.

Who is Dr. Leaf?

official icon from bank

"Supposedly" fictional Chia here.

There was one poor soul who made me think I'd lose my job.

She named herself a pun. She was desperate to be liked, but she was endearing enough for it to be charming. Shelly Ton.

An issue with the Union is that everyone in charge seems to be a bad person. One of the rules is that, without resources that make you valuable, you must look perfectly human.

In clothes, Shelly looked perfectly human, with one very, very important difference. Though she was slightly overweight for her species, she was skeletal. Hence: Shelly Ton for skeleton.

There was nothing wrong with her; her species was just different. In her species, all of their muscles and vital organs are encased in bones. Their skin was flush with their bones with few exceptions, so you can see the issue. While she looked like a human who had medical issues, that didn't sit well with the governing body. Seeing something resembling medical issues could make someone uncomfortable.

Shelly would yell to her fellow poor souls about what nonsense she was told by crew members. They weren't, as humans of your era would say, microaggressions. They were just aggressive, degrading comments. When she was angry, being likable was the last thing on her mind.

The reason I was worried I would lose my job over her ended up being one of my favorite life stories of mine. It was near the end of her 'orientation', and she realized that her body was going to keep her from her dream. Most of the poor souls want to give their people a better life. Shelly just wanted to be a soldier.

I was in the hallway outside of their room when someone asked me why Shelly was asking around about where the meetings with the generals and captains were. My heart dropped as I heard the door open and saw Shelly dart out.

She was fast. Fast isn't even the right word. All of her joints used hydrologic systems that were developed to escape from animals faster than cheetahs. I ran after her as fast as I could. I was winded, but I finally caught up to her… in the middle of her screaming at every high ranking officer on the ship and a few that were visiting from other ships. I'll never forget her denouncing her own people. "I don't care if I am the only Shiaxi to ever serve! I will serve!"

The men (because of course) all noticed me, silhouetted and panting in the open doorway. I stepped forward so that the door could whoosh shut behind me. I told them about a possible plan to surgically insert silicone implants to make her look less sickly. There was silence until the medical director stood and cleared his throat.

He began a long spiel on plastic surgery and its uses. I tuned him out, so imagine my surprise when Shelly was sobbing while hugging him tightly.

She got the surgery, and so did many Shiaxi people after her. It limited their mobility slightly, but they looked perfectly normal.

She's special, like me, because she gave her people a better life. Though she wanted to fight in wars, she ended up being a mechanic specialized in small machines. She's one of the best the Union has. She's always being moved around for her skills, so we meet from time to time. She's thanked me for being honest many times. If someone hadn't told her the truth, she would have been kicked out for simply being born Shiaxi without any way to appeal it. 

How are Dr. Leaf's banks?

Dr. Leaf has three tea themed banks. Two are romaji encoded one pitch VCV, and once is Arpasing. Am I big angry about Arpasing? Yes.

Okay so I'll say it - "{ j" wouldn't be included in a word list that was confined to real words because { is a checked vowel. Oh wait, while it is a vowel that requires itself to be surrounded by consonants, what about "yeah"? Yeah isn't on the same level of "real word" as something like "yak", but it gives you a way to include "{ j". I don't use diphthongs in my tuning. So, even though this is probably a real word list, there was a way to give me my precious "ae y" while still using words in the dictionary.

Let's start with Chamomile. It is a soft bank and hear me out! It's rude to say that someone's OTOs are awful. Not everyone has the same time or knowledge. But these were automatically made by moresampler and are objectively wrong. I did minor edits to fix the most egregious stuff, but it would sound better if it was actually fixed. Also, it doesn't come with frqs. Yay. 

The voice is very nice and youthful while still being calming.



The next is Earl Grey. It is a power bank. 

The OTOs are objectively awful and make my eye twitch. I literally wouldn't care if it weren't for the fact that Dr. Leaf has a freaking good voice! But I have spent too much time on this article already, so here's what he sounds like out of the box: 

  
Finally, we have English Breakfast. It is Arpasing. By nature, basically every Arpasing bank is missing at least one major thing.

The voice is great, but the bank is missing a lot of stuff. 

 

Where can I download Dr. Leaf?

You can find the banks on his Wiki page.  Leafy-p probably would have never recorded all of these banks if they had known that it would take at least four hours of OTOing to get the banks to a decent place. The crutch of moresampler allowed them to just pop out banks. As far as the vcv, it doesn't really matter how bad the OTOs are. The list looks complete, so it would just take a few hours to make the VCV banks sparkly, shiny, and perfect. 

The Arpasing is an entirely different story. It's incomplete and missing things that I regularly use. Maybe I could find workarounds? But would I really want to after learning all I've known about English in utau? Che. 

If leafy-p never learned of moresampler, either these banks would be much better, or they wouldn't exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment